- The number of children in the world that have lost their mother or father, are parent-less, or have been abandoned, now exceeds 147 million. This absolutely staggering number is almost equivalent to one-half of the total population of the United States.
- Every day 5,760 more children become orphans.
- An estimated 17.5 million children have lost one or both parents to AIDS; more than 14 million of these children live in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Diarrhea is the second most common cause of death in young children, after pneumonia. It kills more than 1.5 million children under 5 years of age every year, representing 17 per cent of all deaths in children under 5.
- Diarrhea is caused by germs that are swallowed, especially germs from feces. This happens most often where there is unsafe disposal of feces, poor hygiene practices, or lack of clean drinking water.
- Each year, over 1.4 million children die from diseases that are preventable with readily available vaccines.
- In the US there are approximately 500,000 children in foster care. Approximately 130,000 of those children in foster care are waiting and available for adoption.
- In the past hour 1,625 children were forced to live on the streets by the death or abuse of an adult.
- In the past hour 1,667 children under the age of five died from malnutrition and vaccine preventable diseases.
- In the past hour 115 children became prostitutes.
- In the past hour 66 children under 15 were infected with HIV.
- In the past hour 257 children were orphaned because of HIV/AIDS
There is one thing about God’s nature that is inescapable. God LOVES.
“I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.” -John 14:18
He calls us to LOVE and care for the orphan, widow, and alien.
“Cursed is the man who withholds justice from the alien, the fatherless or the widow.” –Isaiah 1:17
“Learn to do right! Seek justice, encourage the oppressed. Defend the cause of the fatherless, plead the case of the widow.” -Zechariah 7:10
I don’t know about you, but I want more of God’s heart. I want Him to break my heart for what breaks His. I want to see through His eyes. I want to LOVE because He LOVES.
“Worthy is the Lamb, who was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and strength and honor and glory and praise…
…To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be praise and honor and glory and power for ever and ever!” -Revelation 5:12-13
Statistics taken from: www.unaids.org; abbafund.wordpress.com; www.unicef.org; www.hfgf.org